Monday, November 9, 2009

New Council, New Mayor


Four new members of the Owosso City Council were sworn in tonight (from left to right): Mike Erfourth, Cindy Popovitch, Tom Cook, and Chris Eveleth. As well, Ben Frederick was selected as Mayor and Cindy Popovitch chosen to be Mayor Pro Tem. I am excited to be working with these people, and the other two city councilmembers, Joni Forester and Gary Martenis.

I was flattered to be nominated for the Mayor's spot, which followed a number of requests supporters had made of me to consider serving as Mayor. I declined this opportunity for two reasons: 1) I believe the Mayor's position should go to someone who has been on the Council because they have more experience to draw on; and 2) because I believe that sometimes one can be a more effective leader when one does not have the restrictions of an official leadership position. There is a lot to be done in Owosso, and I want to be an advocate for change.

I believe Ben Frederick will be a good mayor. For the last several months I have observed him at council meetings, and he seems committed to the mechanics of good decision-making. He wants a good process, as well as a good outcome. I have seen him work hard to ensure that good information is available to the Council, that a variety of opinions are heard, and that the public has access to the process. I have also had the opportunity to talk through several issues with him. It's clear we won't agree on everything, but I feel as if we will be able to communicate well and work toward compromise where needed. That should yield good policy. Several people told me he was ambitious and someday seeks higher office. To me, that is not a bad thing. Drive and commitment are how things get done; a lazy or disinterested Mayor would not serve our community well. Right now, Ben Frederick is our Mayor, and I hope that by working with him we can both accomplish a lot for Owosso.

Cindy Popovitch will be a good second in command. Her performance in the election proves she can connect well with the public, and that will be an important quality as the City moves forward. I am happy that she will get more visibility and recognition for all of her hard work on behalf of Owosso.

It's important to remember that the Mayor has very little power in the city manager form of government that Owosso has. The Mayor's primary function is to chair the meeting, and the Mayor Pro Tem's task is to fill in when the Mayor is absent. As well, the Mayor presides at official functions. Ben and Cindy will do these jobs well. The Mayor makes appointments, and this is an important task; I feel confident that Ben will seek the input of other council members when making appointments.

Again, I am excited about this team, and ready to get to work. We will be immediately busy at our next meeting when we hold a public hearing on an ordinance amendment to eliminate the public safety director position from the city government structure. I have had a few thoughts on this (see earlier posting of my letter to the editor), but I would welcome your thoughts on this topic.

What would be the best structure for the management and operation of Owosso's fire, police, and ambulance services? Please share with me your suggestions.

Thank you for your support.

1 comment:

  1. Here is a good example of good money going after bad, to restore a downtown's livelihood.

    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/boca-raton/sfl-flbrfmizner1111brfnov11,0,1442039.story

    There are other areas that have been successful in envigorating their downtown areas. I would encourage the new city council to reach out to other areas of the state/country that wrestle with the problem. After that look, do some brainstorming to create a new plan for downtown Owosso. Merely going after taxpayer dollars via Historical designations, state/federal revitalization grants, etc. just throw money away, unless there is truely a thought out plan.

    ReplyDelete